Wasabi (horseradish),red pepper,sweet plum….these are just a few of the unusual,mouthwatering flavours of rice cracker on sale at Terakoya Rice Cracker Shop (寺子屋煎餅店）on Sakuradori Street. We couldn`t resist the wonderful aroma of freshly-baked crackers,and ended up buying a few to take out and eat while we wandered around town.
The selection of flavours made it hard to choose…..I tried a sugar plum crispy cracker,which was huge,and my son tried Wasabi. One of the specialities at this store are the `semi-soft’ (mochi-yaki) crackers,which are smaller and served on a skewer like a kebab,but I was worried about maybe losing a filling and opted for the full crunch variety of cracker.
Inside the shop are further varieties of crackers packaged ready for edible `0miyage` (souvenir) shopping ,with detailed descriptions in English and starting at around ¥130 per cracker. There`s also a small area where you can sit and rest while you eat your take out cracker.
Open daily 9:30 to 17:30
Credit cards not accepted (even though this store is one of a chain,also located in Yufuin and other tourist spots 😕 )
Detailed signs in English
Latest posts by onsen-hopper (see all)
- Autumn 2020 in Kurokawa Onsen - November 11, 2020
- Resumption of Onsen-hopping in Kurokawa Onsen from June 1st,2020 - May 31, 2020
- Extension of temporary closure period at Kurokawa Onsen May 2020 - May 7, 2020
- Kurokawa Onsen temporary closure during Golden Week 2020 - April 29, 2020
- Spring at last! Kurokawa update for March 2020. - March 17, 2020