Winter is the perfect season for spending a leisurely day in Kurokawa Onsen with your onsen-hopping pass (¥1300,good for three baths) and warming up in an outdoor hot spring bath.
Over the New Year period,the outdoor baths are open as usual! Most shops and cafes are also open,although you may find that many will take a day or two off in early January just after New Year.
If you are in Kurokawa on Monday Jan 1st,Sunday 14th or Sunday 21st there will be mochi rice cake-pounding and a Japanese drum performance held in the square behind the Visitor Center from 1pm (please do check at the Visitor Center in case the scheduled time for this event changes).
Bamboo illuminations along the river in the center of Kurokawa can also be viewed in the evenings from December 22nd until the end of March.
Take care on the roads,especially early morning or at night if the weather is snowy . Temperatures can drop and there may be icy patches.
A Happy New Year of the Dog 2018!
Latest posts by onsen-hopper (see all)
- Resumption of Onsen-hopping in Kurokawa Onsen from June 1st,2020 - May 31, 2020
- Extension of temporary closure period at Kurokawa Onsen May 2020 - May 7, 2020
- Kurokawa Onsen temporary closure during Golden Week 2020 - April 29, 2020
- Spring at last! Kurokawa update for March 2020. - March 17, 2020
- A Happy New Year of the Mouse,2020! - January 2, 2020