Just a brief post to say that,six months after the Kumamoto/Oita earthquakes in April this year,most things are pretty much back to normal in Kurokawa Onsen and have been for some time. Two inns,Kurokawaso ,Nanjoen and their outdoor baths are still not in operation,with some renovation work still ongoing (although there seems to be no mention of this on the main Kurokawa Tourism website). Heavy rain earlier in the summer did cause a small landslide by the road in front of Yusai Hotel, and with roadworks underway temporary traffic lights are set up for the control of traffic there.
As for shops and restaurants,there is a new cafe Fu-do (風℃）centrally located in Sakuradori, selling real beef burgers,hotdogs,fried chicken,drinks and snacks. A nice location for sitting outside on the deck area and watching the world go by…
Now that autumn is here Kurokawa bursts into colour,and attracted by various recent discount offers online, guests from Japan and overseas will be filling the inns,streets and baths once again.
For an excellent report on the Aso and Kumamoto region as a whole since the earthquake,please take a look at the update by Helen over at Explore Kumamoto.
Latest posts by onsen-hopper (see all)
- Resumption of Onsen-hopping in Kurokawa Onsen from June 1st,2020 - May 31, 2020
- Extension of temporary closure period at Kurokawa Onsen May 2020 - May 7, 2020
- Kurokawa Onsen temporary closure during Golden Week 2020 - April 29, 2020
- Spring at last! Kurokawa update for March 2020. - March 17, 2020
- A Happy New Year of the Mouse,2020! - January 2, 2020