A Happy New Year of the Mouse ,2020!
Chilly evenings may draw in quickly during the winter months,but you’re sure to find a warm and bright welcome in Kurokawa at this time of year!
The Visitor Center offers a particularly warm welcome during this season. You can browse through the various maps and leaflets ,purchase your Onsen-hopping pass (and obtain your form to enter the 3-millionth visitor contest ) ,do a spot of souvenir shopping or just warm your hands in front of the cosy wood -burning stove .
Wander out into the streets and you’ll find a variety of lights,lamps and illuminations ,with the main bamboo light display (湯あかりor yuakari）along the river being switched on at 5pm every evening until the end of March. Don’t miss the various photo opportunities along the riverbank!
Kurokawa cafes offer a chance to sit down and warm up with a hot bowl of ‘Zenzai ’ (a traditional New Year dish of sweet red bean soup with small rice dumplings ) and brightly-lit shops will tempt you out of the cold. I haven’t mentioned the obvious….but your quickest way of warming up this season will be ,of course, to soak in a luxuriously hot outdoor bath ……take your choice from over twenty five locations available to the Kurokawa Onsen-hoppers . And …..the Onsen -hopping pass is still a bargain in 2020 at a cost of ¥1300 for entry into 3 different public outdoor baths.
PS. Catch some drumming and rice cake (mochi) making at Bechinkan,down the steps behind the Visitor Center,on January 12th from midday!
Wonder at the sight of a cackling bonfire of bamboo at `dondoya` on January 13th from 10am (But please enquire at the Visitor Center about the exact location as this event is held in nearby fields)
* Please note that the times and locations of these events may be subject to change depending on the weather and local conditions. As always,at this time of year please take care on the roads,which can sometimes be slippy at night or early in the morning when temperatures can drop to below freezing.
Latest posts by onsen-hopper (see all)
- Resumption of Onsen-hopping in Kurokawa Onsen from June 1st,2020 - May 31, 2020
- Extension of temporary closure period at Kurokawa Onsen May 2020 - May 7, 2020
- Kurokawa Onsen temporary closure during Golden Week 2020 - April 29, 2020
- Spring at last! Kurokawa update for March 2020. - March 17, 2020
- A Happy New Year of the Mouse,2020! - January 2, 2020