Conveniently located just across the road from the Visitor Center,Kisho Tofu Restaurant (とうふ吉祥) is open most days from 10:00 to 17:00 and a great choice for lunch if you like tofu,tofu and even more tofu! Even the desserts are made from tofu or soya milk.
I`m glad to see these new ,clear signs around Kurokawa at all the shops,restaurants and cafés. Even though I can read some Japanese,I must admit that it`s not always clear to me whether a certain shop is open for business on that day or not,so it must be very difficult sometimes for the overseas visitor who can`t read any Japanese. Kisho Tofu restaurant is subtly lit and set back a little from the road,and years ago when I walked around Kurokawa with a friend from the UK, we mistook it for a private old style Japanese house! (Which it was originally until it was remodelled inside as a restaurant ).
Popular items served here are the Tofu `sets` starting from ¥1600,perhaps a little over your usual lunchtime budget, but made with fresh, high-quality tofu and soya beans. An easy-to-read English menu with photos and prices is provided,which along with the multilingual `point and ask` laminated vocabulary card makes dining here quite straightforward even though the staff didn`t seem to speak any English. Credit cards are accepted.
Open 10:00 to 17:00 (but closed Tuesdays and Fridays)
Credit cards accepted
Latest posts by onsen-hopper (see all)
- Shopping and Eating in Kurokawa # 12 : Raifu Gift Shop - July 23, 2017
- Heavy rain in Kurokawa and area July 6th,2017 and July 7th UPDATE - July 6, 2017
- Restaurant Bus 5/22 to 6/1 in Aso/Kurokawa/Yufuin area - May 23, 2017
- Shopping and Eating in Kurokawa # 11: Naka Restaurant - May 23, 2017
- Shopping and Eating in Kurokawa #10: Kisho Tofu restaurant - May 21, 2017